Almondsey


The Province of South Estalia -- Southeastern Border Sector

South Estalia is the main province of the three provinces of Estalia, but the largest both in size and population and places of interest. It is therefore (for convenience) being presented on the web in five sections. This is the southeastern section, which while mountainous is the most 'dangerous' border with Almondsey. The main county is Marchland (formerly the Province of East Estalia), capital town Carboil (see below). To the north is the sinister County of Linzonia. The western part of this map shows part of Centralia, including the "Great Estate" (the Archduke's agricultural domain). The Almondese and Estalians in this area 'merged' over time (marriages by abduction), and so this is a relatively docile area now, but with a lot of smuggling and occasional blood feuds. Oddly enough, the highlands, with some peaks over 3000 feet, which form a large part of the eastern area, do not have a proper name and are just considered extensions of the Lignapp Hills. The marshy Volevale makes up most of the border with Almondsey; the inhabitants are of mixed nationality and are not particularly law-abiding. Originally Estalia incorporated this area of Almondsey but it was annexed after the Treaty of Reconciliation (1667). The River Throm, the southern outlet from Lake Jatta, is unusual in that it runs underground beneath the hills via an extensive and largely unexplored cavern system.

North Central Estalia Central Estalia Southwest Estalia Linzonia
Southeastern Sector of South Estalia (The Borders)

There are only three towns, Carboil, Lissom, and Thongor (see below) and two village Plimbo-mims (P-pshitt, ruinous, and Poskrit, now a tannery) and three Palbo-mims (Ye-Bocx, Bob-Bocx, and Thro-Bocx), but many castles and other fortifications. Most of them are shown on the Border Sites web page.

Part of the County of Linzonia is on this map, but one should look at the separate web page for that area. The grim and forlorn Yigdrasilla Castle is described on that site.

The main geographical feature is the highland area, an extension of the Lignapp Hills; the border with Almondsey is along the Vole River. That part of Almondsey that used to be part of Marchland now known as Yarthfur (then called East Estalia, as was all of Marchland) is described here. The western portion of this area (part of Centralia), abutting on Lake Jatta, is primarily agricultural and lacks any important centers of habitation apart from the decayed Plimbo-mims.

Notes on the Nobles: The most important family in the area is that of the Duke of Marchland, a post that goes back into early history: The first duke was actually an Almondese renegade who married into the Estalian Royal Family in 1572, but soon established his rule over this eastern province. The Mayor of Carboil also holds a prestigious post. Centralia, of course, is the domain of the Archduke, who owns the Great Estate. And the Moderator of the country (Chancellor) bases his holdings at Falarn Castle.

Lissom Castle is the southern residence of the Duke of Marchland. It is basically a fortified manor house with a square tower. It is south of the town at the confluence of two rivers at the harbor mouth. Except for the tower, which dates from 1684, it was built around 1812 in the Jacobean style.
Lissom is a small port along the southern shore (although nothing larger than fishing boats can use it, and fishing is its main purpose, but there are also some smallholding farms to the east). The Centralia border is along the left fork of the River Lis. There are no town walls (unusual for Estalia). Carboil is the country town of Marchland. To the south, outside the walls, is the Duke's Palace (see below). The seminary, in the northwest corner, is the most important center of learning for devotees of the Goddess Lott in Estalia, and the grand temple is almost unique in that it only has a small side chapel for the God Thud. There is a grammar school (rare in Estalia) along the river bank by Westgate. The government buildings are the usual: county hall, court, and prison. Carboil is mainly an agricultural town, but there is the Mairie Hotel, part of the Castello Chain.
Duke's Palace in Carboil, the official Ducal Seat. This is a fine Regency Period (English-style reckoning) building, but at the same time it bored most of the Dukes, who preferred the castellated manor in Lissom. One reason may be the elaborately formal estate gardens, and the little village to the east that houses all the retainers in a rather forelock-touching atmosphere -- the dukes, while socially important, were rarely highbrows or snobbish. The tower house is older (actually it was designed and constructed by Ralph Roberto, who also did the King's castle in Linzonia, but sadly to say the then Duke 'stiffed' the architect by not paying the final fees). The elaborate baronial-style architecture was added from 1780-1880 in a gradual process.
The keep tower is a full six stories tall, containing the master bedrooms above the drawing room (top floors are not shown on this plan). Above the vaulted cellar, reached only by trap-door, is the Duke's game room, which has been dedicated to various uses depending on the current duke's nature. Wine Tower, which is only two-stories tall (hence the weird truncated look of the east facade of the palace as viewed from Southgate), is so-called because of its vaulted wine cellar, and houses the butler or castellan of the estate; the great hall overlays the elaborately vaulted cellars and kitchen wing, and is also rather low (two stories, although the great hall is twenty-five feet high); the east side contains stabling and the garrison, and is again only two floors high. Groom's Tower, which is four stories, houses the ostlers, an important post in this place, as riding is a major activity. Garden Tower is four stories tall and contains guest bedrooms above the parlor. Lady Tower, which really houses the gardeners, is another one of the four-story southern towers: this brings up the issue of the strangest thing about the palace -- viz. the conservatory. Not a major building in a greenhouse sense, although it involved tearing down a lot of the defensive walls, this was built by Duchess Petunia (1875) to house her exotic collection of tiny plants. The solar wing (west side) is four stories tall, and holds the major bedrooms that are not in the keep tower. In spite of its castellated appearance, the palace is not a fortress and was never intended to be. But it is quite impressive viewed from the southwest.
Thongor is the easternmost village on Estalia's south coast. It has a strong fort built in the 17th Century. It has a small harbor, one of the few protected havens along the Longstrand, and is primarily a fishing port. Because it was once under constant threat from Almondsey, the original ramshackle hamlet was demolished and replaced by the fort, two gatehouses, stone quays, and a thin protecting wall. This was done by Arnoldo Thongori-Blazon, a wealthy cousin of the Duke of Marchland, starting in 1632. There is no access to nearby Fort Hazard on Salammy Head except by boat, and the nearest town is Lissom, which is much smaller than Thongor. Its economy is basically supported by the many farms between the two villages, to which it is the main supplier of fish.

Estalia